How to introduce Eye Witness Testimony

How to introduce Eye Witness Testimony
Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 @ 11:01 PM

Hi there

I am a PGCE student and straight after the half term I have my very first lesson. I will be teaching Eye Witness Testimony and have planned the scheme of work. The only thing I am struggling with is a starter/introduction to actually introduce the concept of EWT. I have loads of good videos and resources for the other lessons but the first lessons is the one im really worrying about.

Any ideas will be really appreciated

Thanks

Nick

Posted: Tuesday, October 20, 2009 @ 11:22 PM

There are quite a few good videos on here that you could start with such as http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/videos/view/20180/

and this one

http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/videos/view/20434/

Signature  I do stuff online.
Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 @ 04:52 PM

Thanks for those! they look really interesting

Posted: Wednesday, October 21, 2009 @ 10:18 PM

I use this video http://www.psychexchange.co.uk/videos/view/20370/ it has some inbuilt quizes very american. I ask them to draw a 10p coin and I also ask them who is on the back of a five pound note. It is elizabeth Fry she help in prison reform in the uk. Helped to clean up the female prisons, Just incase they ask. They quite enjoy the drawing 10p. I hope that helps. 

Posted: Thursday, October 22, 2009 @ 05:08 PM

If you google The Case of the Wrongful Conviction is should give you a resource from Psychlotron.  First lesson we read through this case and talk about whether James Taylor should have been convicted.  Look at the eye witness accounts and how they could be inaccurate.  We then look at factors that affect EWT in the next 3/4 lessons and then come back to the case.  The students have to prepare evidence to support the convictions or defend James Taylor.  For example, the fact that there was a weapon could have affected the accuracy of the EWT. 

Students really enjoy it!

Harry 

Posted: Friday, October 23, 2009 @ 02:27 PM

thanks for all the resources they look great and will be using them!

Posted: Wednesday, November 4, 2009 @ 11:48 PM

If you have a copy of Matt Jarvis' book on teaching post 16 psych there's a good PBL suggestion in the chapter on active learning. Works well with students - they have to read up on memory research and use this to present a defence in a scenario where they have been wrongly identified by a witness.

Posted: Thursday, November 5, 2009 @ 07:11 PM

hi Im an old hand teaching psych for more years than I care to remember (about 20!) so I hope this might be useful - you could do War of the Ghosts the Bartlett exp as a all class chinese whispers to show how info becomes distorted and also try downloading allpoet & postman picture 1947 may be in an old text book and show them how info can schange but what i often do is prepare a stooge pupil from another class to come in while im chatting to class and give me a piece of paper (homeowrk supposedly) and be a bit rude to me e.g., loud voice heres your homework blah slap it down and go out (you have to know what she/he is wearing) carry on class as usual then after the other exp ask them what they were wearing and throw in leading ques.

hope this helps a bit

sns