help with addictive behaviour aqa

help with addictive behaviour aqa
Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 @ 09:59 PM

hello I am teaching addictive behaviour for the first time, I have seen the changes to the spec grids but different text books i think have interpretted this in different ways and im unsure.

Where it says biological, cognitive and learning approaches to explain initiation, maintenance and relapse and their applications to smoking and gambling.

Can I assume that they can ask specific questions just about smoking or gambling. Also does this mean that if it doesnt ask a specific question about smoking or gambling, the examiner is still looking for it in relation to gambling or smoking.

Some text books have stated biol/cog/ learn x initiation/maintenance/ relapse x gambling/smoking - so 18 combinations

Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 @ 10:00 PM

ps thank you!

Posted: Monday, September 10, 2012 @ 10:01 PM

oh dear sorry just realised i didnt finish typing- i meant to continue by saying other text books do the biol initiation maintenance and relapse and just add a little bit at the end linking it to gambling or smoking!

Brain is a bit squashy after a week or so back!

Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 @ 08:34 AM

In the previous specification the entry on smoking and gambling was separate, which intimated that there might be questions on inititation/maintenance and realpse independent of any particular addiction. Therefore textbooks took that route i.e.e to look at the three aspects (initiation/maintenance/relapse) in all three models.

However, in practice, all exam questions on initation/maintenance/relapse were related to smoking or gambling. Therefore I think you are safe to just teach it in the context of gambling/smoking.

Further more, if the question does state smoking/gambling then students would get no credit for discussing other addictions except as a form of evaluation.

In our new A2 Complete Companion we have done this - there are three spreads - one on each model (biological,cognitive, learning) and on each spread gambling and smoking are looked at in terms of initiation/maintenance/relapse.

(PS I will upload a powerpoint that has all past A2 questions and some notes from the examiner's report for each - so you can see the questions that have been asked).

Posted: Tuesday, September 11, 2012 @ 10:00 AM

Thank you very much Cara that is very helpful!