Flipped teaching

Flipped teaching
Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 @ 10:42 AM

Dear All

I am currently undertaking a project on flipped teaching at my school in Portsmouth in liaison with my colleague in the Biology department. I need to make links with any other schools that are using this technique and ideally I would like to come and visit your school in the first week of July. Maybe your departments aren't flipping but there is a non-psychology department in your school that are?! Please get in touch asap so we can chat!

With best wishes

Mandy

Posted: Monday, May 20, 2013 @ 03:59 PM

Can I be really stupid and ask what 'flipped teaching' is?

Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 @ 10:15 AM

I looked it up on wikipedia

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Flip_teaching

its having the kids learn a topic before you teach it, then acting as a tutor or facilitator in the class.

Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 @ 10:35 AM

I highly recommend "Flip our classroom" by the pioneers of flipped learning by Jonathan Bergmann and Aaron Sams. The basic concept is equipping students with the information before they come into the class and testing the knowledge with activities.

I would really like to start it in my school too, but I am still trying to figure out how I might do it, so let us know how you get on!

Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 @ 10:38 AM

Hi Emma, do you remember we met in Poland I think? Thanks for your comment. I will let you know how I get on! At the moment am still desperately seeking a flipper! X

Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 @ 11:18 AM

There's this too: http://blog.resourcd.com/flip-your-classroom-with-resourcd-909.html

Signature  jamiedavies.co | @jamiedavies
Posted: Tuesday, May 21, 2013 @ 12:06 PM

Hi,

I love the idea of flipped teaching and would really like to try this . However, at present they simply do not do homework. For example, I set them a practice paper to do over a weekend - only 2 weeks before the exam, only 4/30 students did it. I suspect that if I tried to 'flip' then I'd end up just having to teach the material anyway as none of them would bother to do it in their own time. So I'd be interested to know if anyone else with similar students/issues has managed to overcome this to be able to adopt a flipped approach?

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 @ 08:19 AM

We use the flipped classroom in our school and I am sure that the school would not object to you visiting. I am going to use it next year for both AS and A2 psych - just need a bit of time to get started! Email me back if you are interested in visiting our school in Ruislip, Middx.
jwarren1.312@lgflmail.org

Julie

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 @ 12:16 PM

Many thanks Julie for your reply, I have emailed you and look forward to meeting up soon!

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 @ 07:30 PM

I am really taken this with this idea and can see how via youtube on mobiles etc this type of "pre-work homework" might be more accessible to those students that are not likely to read an article or make standard notes etc. I have had a look at the Kahn Academy and there are some fabulous resources on there but not for Psychology so I guess it would be over to us to create them. My question is how easy would it be to make your own video so that it looked professional enough that the students would take it seriously? 

Posted: Wednesday, May 22, 2013 @ 08:51 PM

Hopefully I will find out before long! I am going on a course with dragonfly training in July. Generally I think people use PowerPoint but through various software that allows you to add your voice and annotate your slides as you would if you were in the classroom. As I say once I get going I will post my results!! X thank you to everyone who has replied so far. I am going to make a questionnaire with survey monkey as part of my project and will post link here if anyone is kind enough to participate and help me with on my venture! Xx

Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 @ 08:40 AM

Certainly Mandy! Just wondering if there are any schools in the South West that use "Flipped teaching" I am thinking of trialling this with yr 12 after exams but intend to use ppt with links to youtube etc rather than try editing my own!

Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 @ 08:54 AM

Hi Jenny, what school are you at as I am interested to set up a focus group of staff and pupils to discuss ideas? Could you email me on a.wood@pgs.org.uk.

Best wishes mandy x

Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 @ 02:54 PM

Hi Mandy, We are looking at introducing flipped learning in Psychology at Portsmouth College - I think they have been doing it at South Downs this year and I also think they have doing something similar in Science at St V. I am going on some INSET at Totton College after half term so I'll let you know how they have got on.

Posted: Thursday, May 23, 2013 @ 05:02 PM

Hi Emily,hope alls good with you .Is it psych or P.E. inset you are going on at Totton ? if its psych I might see if I can join you it would be nice to catch up and learn more.

Posted: Friday, May 24, 2013 @ 05:25 PM

Hi, this is something I would like to try out next year. Apparently Maths lower down in my school are doing it too at the moment. Can anyone recommend any apps or screen activity recording software (preferably free!). I've downloaded DemoCreator but there's a watermark in the middle.

Be great to hear any feedback.

Posted: Wednesday, May 29, 2013 @ 05:04 AM

Hello all,

The Flipped Classroom is something I will be trialing with the Year 10 GCSE cohort I have until the end of the academic year. I certainly think this will be of great benefit to students for many reasons, but for teachers the challenge will be HOW the information will be provided prior to the lesson and WHAT will be done in the lesson to consolidate the information.

One initial idea I have is that STUDIES can be flipped as I find them boring after a while and I feel that teaching the content in lesson is a waste of time. I currently teach EDEXCEL but I am sure the principals will apply to other boards. For GCSE there are a certain number of 'studies in detail' for each topic where the APRC (Aim, Procedure, Results and Concusions) must be described. Therefore I will trial the following............

Before the lesson............
1. A week before the study (I will use Madon's study as the example here) I will create a short video clip using mainly pictures which will detail the APRC and post the link on to the VLE (Virtual Learning Environment - Moodle, Frog, Studywiz etc)

**To create the video clip I will use my I-pad - Educreations or Explain Everything are good apps for this, but there are many different tools you can use **

2. I will also put on the VLE a template APRC sheet so students are able to download/print it so they can make notes. There will also be a box on the bottom of the sheet where they can write down any questions they have or note anything they do not understand.

3. By providing this a week earlier students will have the TIME to come and see me if they are really clueless about the study.

4. If you have a blogging site then pupils can post their questions here as well. This is usually part of the VLE or you can set your own one up.

In the lesson...........
1. When the lesson arrives students will be placed into groups and discuss their questions/what they did not understand and I will circle the classroom to help students.

2. Anyone who has not done their homework will be placed on a separate table and told to copy out the study into an APRC template as a form of punishment and then will be expected to catch up with any classwork missed.

3. Feedback as a class and clarify any misunderstandings and go through APRC (briefly).

4. Put exam question on the board (Describe Madon's study - 5 marks) and ask pupils to discuss HOW they will answer the question i.e. What are the important elements they will need to include.

5. Get pupils to attempt the question under timed conditions, swap over and get their peer to mark it. Mark scheme will be put on the board.

6. Teacher can provide a model answer and ask students to write down what the differences were between their answer and the model answer/how might they improve their answer.

7. Creative consolidation task - Poster/mind map/Flash card for APRC of Madon. Finish for hmk (can be used as a revision tool for later).

Like I say this is just an INITIAL idea and I am sure there are many more creative ways out there to 'flip' a classroom.

If you have any ideas or wish to discuss anything with me then please email:

simon.b2@shrewsbury.ac.th

Many thanks

Simon :-)

Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 @ 01:14 PM

I have done a more basic version of this with my A2 class, whereby I have assigned to each student a sub section of the topic that I want to cover the week before. They then have an hour of the next lesson to create a lesson (or tidy up creating a lesson) which lasts about 15 mins. I then sit with the remaining students and facilitate that way.
I play the "awkward" student, who asks lots of questions, asks them to pause, asks them to explain in other ways etc, and this then encourages the other students to speak up and ask their own questions or answer mine.

I did this as an observed lesson and received a good with outstanding features, as the students were showing progress and were demonstrating knowledge.

They also had to create problem questions that would've been likely to come up on the exam for the others to answer.

Is this the kind of thing you were talking about?

Posted: Thursday, May 30, 2013 @ 02:55 PM

It seems to me that "flipped teaching" is, yet again, just a re-launch of other initiatives such as "independant learning" and "pre-learning". Having said that I can still see the benefits! Having gone through both the OCR AS and A2 course with year 13s last week we have identified studies and topics they think are relatively straightforward and could be researched as h/w allowing more time in lessons to discuss the more difficult aspects of the study / theory or plan and write exam answers. The students all said they would welcome more time writing exam answers in class so they could get immediate feedback and advice on how to answer them well rather than struggling at home.

However I do not intend speding time making video clips but will use exisiting ppts (some ofwhich actually refer to suitable clips and that underused resource the good old textbook!). Does anyone know if there a piece of software I can use that would allow me to add voice to the ppt? I know someone in my school has spoken about this but he has since left

Posted: Saturday, June 1, 2013 @ 08:53 PM

I'm really into this as I've been doing some online learning myself recently and seen how useful this can be. I'm planning on using some of my gain time this half term to record commentaries to my more didactic content filled PowerPoints so I can set them for homework next year. CamStudio recorder can be downloaded from source forge for free and is very simple to us to record what is on your screen and a commentary.