Is there a BTEC or equivalent in Psychology? (I have looked!)

Is there a BTEC or equivalent in Psychology? (I have looked!)
Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2015 @ 09:27 PM

We have a lot more E/U minimum grade students these days. They really struggle with the academic nature of Psychology but enjoy the topics. Does anyone have any suggestions of a less demanding course where they could find success?

Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2015 @ 10:42 PM

WJEC do a level 3 qualification in Criminology. Far from straight psychology, I know, but it looks interesting and more like a BTEC type applied course than A level. Trouble is that it carries no UCAS points, although a small number of universities accrpt it (listed on WJEC website).

Posted: Thursday, September 3, 2015 @ 11:08 PM

Best bet for UCAS points is Applied Science with Forensic Science option - criminology/criminal psychology/forensic evidence collection and analysis are the optional modules in the sub diploma with the full diploma having a fair bit of psychological input also with detailed units on profiling etc. They would need to do it alongside the compulsory core modules for applied science.

Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 @ 09:03 AM

I think there are some health related BTECS but to get the distinctions needed by uni's students have to work to a high standard and show good understanding. If your students are motivated this should'' be a problem but having had both my own children complete level 3 diplomas I can tell you they are not an easier option! Different skills needed though and many uni's accept them, even Russel group, especially if the have an A level as well. I know Exeter, Bath, Loughborough (with 1 A level), Leeds (with 1 A level) all accept Level 3 diplomas as do UWE, Oxford Brookes, Bath Spa but only at distinction or distinction*. I also know Nottingham and Bristol vet schools were starting to take a handful of students with science Btec + chem A level on vet courses (report about 3 years ago saying these students came with better study skills and a sound understanding of science).

Posted: Friday, September 4, 2015 @ 01:51 PM

We are starting a level 2 course this year - ASENTIS Level 2 Certificate in Psychology, as a course for those interested in the subject but who do not meet the criteria to study it at A Level.  Not academically rigorous (only 2 assesments - one coursework and one controlled assessment) but lots of freedom to teach the topics they are interested in.

Posted: Saturday, September 5, 2015 @ 07:12 PM

Hello do you have a link for this? Thanks

Posted: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 @ 11:16 AM

I know this is an old thread but I am just looking in to introducing a level 2/ 3/ BTEC psychology option as an accessible route for students who don't meet the academic profile for the new spec A Level. The Level 2 course mentioned above looks quite good (https://www.ascentis.co.uk/Handlers/Download.ashx?IDMF=518b397b-ae3a-49a7-8888-34e116d7c9ec) does anyone still do this? What do you think of it? Thanks