A Level Law New Specifications for Sept 2017

A Level Law New Specifications for Sept 2017
Posted: Wednesday, September 21, 2016 @ 08:56 AM

Hi all,

Thought it might be useful to start a discussion on the new A Level Law specs for teaching from Sept 2017.

Did a webinar course for the AQA spec last night - anyone else do that one and have any thoughts? I am seriously considering switching spec to OCR - still a lot fo content to get through, but the way the students will be assessed on OCR is significantly better in terms of us helpign them through the course.

As with all the new specs - going to have to teach Contract or Human Rights as main substantive topics - I'm certainly going to have to start researching and finding resources and ideas to help with this, as well as for the other areas of the existing spec i've opted not to teach but won;t have that option any more.

Please do share any thoughts, concerns and help here!

Posted: Saturday, October 1, 2016 @ 11:20 AM

For anyone who is interested i have set up a Facebook group for A Level Law teachers - just somewhere to share thoughts, ideas, resources and chat about A Level Law.

Feel free to join, share and network

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1591311971164710/

Posted: Friday, November 25, 2016 @ 03:31 PM

Hi everyone,

I am in two minds at the moment, as I need to decide pretty soon whether to stay with OCR or go with AQA.

AQA has multiple choice questions which could be useful for my weaker students and have 6, 9 and 10 markers, but I've never used this examination board before

OCR - I am already familiar with this examination board and they have 10 mark question (a change from 50 markers at A2 level), but in the past they have been quite slow at releasing mark schemes and support materials.

Has anyone decided yet and if so how did you decide- on what basis?

Which one do you think would work better as a linear course?

Are there any other websites you could recommend other than the exam boards that you have found useful.

Thank you in advance.

Posted: Wednesday, June 14, 2017 @ 02:50 PM

I am definitely switching to OCR.

The majority of teachers are on/going to OCR in our local area so in terms of standardisation it will be a lot easier.

I also much prefer the OCR exam.

Am happy to share resources with anyone going to OCR.

Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 @ 11:13 AM

I have looked at AQA new spec for 2017 - it's not good - have looked at OCR - it seems to reflect the old AQA exam style questions - good to see 25 marks questions on OCR. But I have never taught OCR so need help - anyone got resources !!

Posted: Sunday, September 10, 2017 @ 03:14 PM

We have just switched to OCR after years of AQA as it seems to look much more user friendly. We are not offering the AS qualification and so I am struggling to decide how much detail to go into eg I guess I do not need to waste time teaching students the definitions which would previously have been needed for the old AQA Unit 2 exam (Define mens rea etc)? As long as they have an idea of what theses things are it will be better for them to spend more time learning the offences/defences and evaluation needed for the scenario on the Alevel paper? Also do we have to teach both murder/manslaughter and theft/robbery/burglary as there seems to be a choice on the example paper they have released online for OCR? Sorry for all of the questions - we are a very small department and very rarely get to go on courses so never really get to network! Thanks