Quasi or Not - Sperry

Quasi or Not - Sperry
Posted: Thursday, March 16, 2017 @ 11:11 PM

The text book states his study is an experiement - control over varaibles - I V and DV - but I beleive it to be a quasi experiment - what would you teach it as ? 

How would you get graded for it in an exam ?

Thank you x

Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 06:31 AM

If you are teaching OCR then I would go by what it says in the Core Studies Anthology.

• 'This is usually considered a quasi/natural experiment because the independent variable (IV) – having a split brain or not – was not directly manipulated by the researchers. Participants with split-brains had already undergone hemisphere deconnection to reduce severe epilepsy. No actual control group was necessary for comparison in the study because the functions and abilities of the visual fields and hemispheres in non split-brain individuals was already known.' 

However, AQA do not treat natural and Quasi experiments as the same thing, for AQA it would be classed as a Quasi experiment.

But, I've also seen it referred to as a lab experiment and even a clinical case study (because there was no control group).  I would argue it is a quasi experiment carried out under controlled conditions (e.g. laboratory)

Posted: Friday, March 17, 2017 @ 07:42 AM

I think AQA would classify it as a natural experiment because the IV (split brain or not) was manipulated by the operation - it is not a naturally occurring condition. But a natural experiment is a subset of quasi-experiment. Because it was conducted in controlled lab conditions where participants knew they were being studied it might have some of the strengths/weakness of lab studies.

I agree with Deb that it might be best described as a series of case studies.

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 @ 11:55 PM

Many thanks