Families & Households Demography 20 marker

Families & Households Demography 20 marker
Posted: Saturday, March 18, 2017 @ 08:02 PM

I'm at a bit of a loss as to what the 20 marker could possibly be for this topic ...

The Westergaard book has a sample Q on the ageing population, but this is given very little space in the textbook (perhaps it's given more attention in Browne?) so seems unlikely to be posed as a full essay question. On the previous spec, the essay questions that relate to this topic were all 'examine' rather than 'assess' questions and they were addressed to changes in the birth / death rate - I'm clear on how students would examine these issues, but less clear on how they would 'evaluate' (which is the stem for the new spec) such questions. There are no speciman questions / sample responses / mark schemes about this topic on the AQA website either.

I'd be massively grateful if you wouldn't mind sharing any thoughts about how potential demography questions might look or any additional AQA resources / examples of student work you may have on this as I'm seriously stumped!

Cheers!

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 08:46 AM

The 2014 paper had a 24 mark question " assess the view that an ageing population creates problems for society" so it's certainly possible for them to write a 20 mark essay on the new specification. I think the easiest way for them to ask a question on demography is to link to other areas of the course - e.g. evaluate the view that demographic changes have undermined the role of the nuclear family in society,

Posted: Thursday, March 23, 2017 @ 06:57 PM

Cheers Tom!