Edexcel 8 mark questions evaluating a theory/explanation/model

Edexcel 8 mark questions evaluating a theory/explanation/model
Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 @ 01:08 PM

I read a very useful article in Psychology Review on 8 mark exam questions, one question I have is for AO1 for a theory comes from knowledge of the theory, and the findings of the research that either support or refute the theory  are also AO1? I am new to Edexcel, though was under the impression that supporting evidence is a strength of a theory (AO3) and evidence that refutes is a weakness (AO3).

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 @ 03:54 PM

Not sure but I have been telling my students to use 2 strengths and 2 weaknesses in the questions and then use details from relevant studies to support the point. I think AO1 would be both knowledge of the theory and relevant detail from a study whereas AO3 is the evaluative point + explanation. The students who did this at AS did well. The longer answers (16/20) usually have more than 1 area / theory so they need to make sure they use ALL the information in the question. I moved from OCR who never distinguished between AO1/2/3 in mark schemes so I have just used the same idea.

The one thing the students HAVE to do is include a conclusion for every extended answer (apart from Discuss but I tell my students even this one so they don't forget). Otherwise I believe the answer is restricted to Level 2

Posted: Sunday, March 19, 2017 @ 07:13 PM

Thanks

Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 10:24 AM

I agree, research can be used as AO1 as it shows understanding of the theory as you can see how the study fits as it were. Using a research as AO3 requires the student to say something along the lines of 'A strength of the theory is that there is supporting evidence. For example X, who studied Y and found Z. This supports the theory because...therefore...'

Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 12:45 PM

This is the same as for AQA which I think I am okay with. I am still confused about the use of counter evidence as AO1?

Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 01:22 PM

The "evidence" (reference to relevant research) is showing knowledge and understanding.