OCR options questions

OCR options questions
Posted: Monday, March 20, 2017 @ 03:51 PM

Hi all,

I'm looking at preparing students for the options question. I see the part a)'s consist of: 'explain how the X research could be used/ applied to ...'

There are clearly marks here for giving details of the study and other marks for clearly making the link(s) requested. 

BUT... how many links/ applications would be required for a top band? Does the study have to be outlined first or can key details be dragged out which are then applied without giving an overview?

All advice gratefully received.

Tom 

Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 04:31 PM

That's a really good question, Tom. I have also been looking at these types of 'how can it be used...' style questions with my students and the marks are awarded as AO1 = 5 so this would be the outline of the study which we have kept  brief, but with a bit of specific detail e.g. sample, procedure. What we are finding is that it is usually the description of the findings and the conclusions that are linked with the AO2 = 5 which is the 'application in context' part. Some of them are really tough, especially the one on the Hall and Player study in Criminal where the findings are not significant and then the question asks 'how it could be used...' We were a bit bemused by that one!

Posted: Tuesday, March 21, 2017 @ 04:52 PM

Thanks for those points - the A02 part is certainly very difficult particularly if the ideas were not covered the previous year.