Revision tips and tricks!

Revision tips and tricks!
Posted: Tuesday, April 18, 2017 @ 07:31 PM

Hi everyone, 

I'm getting a bit bored of doing mock papers and looking at mark schemes with my students all the time. Anyone got any ideas of how to mix it up a bit? Teaching the AQA new spec. We look at model answers and mark them too. 

Thanks! 

Posted: Thursday, April 20, 2017 @ 12:21 AM

Hi Christine - I'm in the same boat as you, so my suggestions are hardly going to set the world on fire, but here goes:

Divide class into teams of about 4. At the end of each lesson, set a homework to learn some material (should take them no more than 30 mins hwk time) e.g. two strengths and two limitations of the three kinds of experimental design, then start the next lesson with a quick test (about 6-8 minutes) - keep running total of each team's score (chart on a noticeboard) and small award prizes after a few weeks. Just to be clear - the quick test is not a team exercise - they answer on their own and then the individual scores are added up as the team total (individual scores are not made known, other than to each individual student). 

As far as technique is concerned, if you have some examples of real student responses, get your students to mark them - they could colour-code the AO1, AO2 and AO3. I know we have no real student scripts for the A2 exams, but the student responses at the end of each chapter of the GHG and PHG books are good. I photocopy them, cut off the examiner's comments and then copy them onto a fresh sheet. 

Depending on how confident your students are with one another, you could do a "public marking" exercise - get them to word process their answers to exam questions, then you select a student, put their answer on the screen and talk them through where and why you are allocating marks and also how the answer could be improved. My students really love this because it's real, and all want their turn but, as you can imagine, this kind of exercise won't work for all groups.

Sorry I can't suggest any more - I guess it's just doing the same thing in different ways - there are only so many ways to skin a cat!

Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 11:37 AM

I'm onto the final few revision lessons and mostly the students just want to sit on their own and revise so I try and mix it up with lots of different little activities so those who can't just sit and revise get some input too, and those who think rewriting all their notes onto little cards is revising also get something more active.

Here are some of the things I or my partner teacher have done (mostly stolen from pinterest or other brilliant teachers):

Revision clocks - a clock face in the middle of an A3 sheet, draw lines out from every 5 minutes to divide up the sheet and write a question under the line that should take about 5 minutes to answer (or draw lines from different points for different lengths). We have blank ones for students to make their own using questions from the textbook.

Organised chaos - write/print simple questions on paper (I do it to cover a whole topic, so general things, but you can be more specific or get students to write their own), give one to every student. If they can, they say the answer outloud to the person next to them, if they're not sure, they look it up, then screw the paper up and throw it, either into the middle or to another student. Repeat. It doesn't matter if they get the same question a few times. Great end to the lesson.

Guess who/what? - there are templates online, get students to make them for homework (they have to print, cut and write in theorists/researchers/key terms), bring them in and play.

The corner game - not sure why, but my students love this. I use the multiple choice questions in the green-haired girl book. There are 4 team captains, each stands in a corner and take it in turn to answer a question. If they get it right, they pick someone to join them, if they get it wrong, the next team gets the question, once all the class are in a team, captains can 'steal' from other teams.

My students are also fans of min-whiteboard quizzes, writing essay plans on the table (board pen wipes off with baby wipes), testing each other using flashcards and there is always a lot of laughter when I attempt pictionary on the whiteboard.

I follow most of these things up by handing out post-it notes where they write down what they struggled with. Sometimes I collect them in (especially early on, so that I can do a quick recap on things), sometimes I just go round and have a quick look to see if there's anything that comes up a lot. 

I try to do different games for different topics, so they don't get too bored, but sometimes if they really like something (e.g. revision clocks) I don't mind giving them the resources to do their own if they want to.

I'd love to hear anyone else's revision activities.

Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 01:12 PM

Similar experience as my students also like to revise independently. However just tried a "word snake" Print out a A£ pic of a snake, out one word from a unit at one end and a supposedly unrelated word at the other. Students have to link the two. I gave a prize for the MOST links (rather. than the least to stop them taking short cuts). They also like "Guess who I am" put researchers / theories on post-its. Student have to guess who they are by asking other students. I have a large group so limited to one question per fellow student to get them moving around.

Posted: Tuesday, April 25, 2017 @ 10:45 PM

I'm loving these ideas! Thanks everyone!Yesterday I got some coloured sugar paper and they planned 16markers on these and then travelled to other tables to mark the AO1, 2 and 3 points as well as adding their own. They seemed to like insulting each other's plans! Then they selected the hardest topic out of all the ones they saw and did that in full.

Keep them coming! I always run out of ideas to make it fresh by this point!

Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 @ 11:56 AM

I'd love to see an example of the revision clock!

Posted: Thursday, May 11, 2017 @ 11:59 AM

If you google image search 'revision clocks' there are loads of great examples online! I'm pretty sure on TES there are some free resources too

Posted: Friday, May 12, 2017 @ 09:30 AM

Thanks Katy :-)

Posted: Sunday, May 14, 2017 @ 09:41 AM

Thank you for all the great ideas!