Edexcel Paper 1 Timings

Edexcel Paper 1 Timings
Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 @ 02:59 PM

It seems many students had a problem with timing on this paper as well as the amount of space allocated for the shorter questions. Apart from that I thought the paper was ok although yet another ethics question in Social (including the AS that's 3/3 papers this has come up in!)

Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 @ 03:31 PM

I haven't seen the paper yet, but my students came to see me after the exam and were really happy with the content. Timing did seem to be an issue for most though, with one missing an entire 8 mark question, and those who didn't miss any out I suspect rushed them to get them done. Does it mean we're teaching them in too much detail, or that they're just expecting too much I wonder...

Now on to paper 2!

Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 @ 03:55 PM

A mix of both I suspect..... hopefully the grade boundary will be low again.

Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 @ 04:23 PM

Yes my strongest students were the ones that had the issues with timing.Trying to address the mark bands is so difficult in the time allowance for 8 mark questions.So many essays with so many different styles of question  in between including switching into methods and maths modes.Looking at the paper I'm not surprised they had issues.  As you say bring on paper 2 !

Posted: Thursday, June 8, 2017 @ 10:59 PM

Totally agree with all that has been said. Questions all very fair. Timing was a problem for quite a few of my students, despite doing a number of 2 hour timed exam papers. Five 8 mark mini essays (most requiring conclusions) and a 12 is very difficult to achieve in the time available, especially when they have a large number of shorter questions to grapple with. I think paper 2 will have the same issues, paper 3 a bit more managble with fewer marks available. 

Posted: Friday, June 9, 2017 @ 08:26 AM

Also not seen the paper yet (should receive a copy today) but students seemed happy and felt that students who received good teaching over the 2 years would have done really well on it. This concerns them as they think the boundaries will be high as other students will have excelled, whereas they had a lot of catching up to do as they didn't think they had a good first year. They also struggled for time and didn't finish the big questions at the end.
Some are thinking of doing the bigger questions first on paper 2, but not sure whether this will be effective, as they may then lose out on the shorter questions

Posted: Friday, June 9, 2017 @ 09:57 AM

Judging my the number of teachers and students saying timing was an issue and they either didn't fiinish or were very rushed I don't think grade boundaries will be particularly high. I have advised my students to leave 30 mins for the 20 mark question for clinical and then split time evenly.

Posted: Monday, June 12, 2017 @ 12:41 PM

One of my students searched edexcel psychology on twitter - many students found it very difficult to compete the paper, answers very rushed, questions unanswered. etc. Perhaps the board will see an issue and makes changes in future years. I never had studnets raising cocnberns about timninbg on the old spec!

Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 @ 12:36 PM

I'm guessing we've all seen the paper now...? I've only just managed to get hold of it and am a little confused on Q5. The table doesn't make sense to me...do we assume there were 20 participants, because each of the 10 participants can't possibly be dyslexic and not dyslexic at the same time?! Should there have been another column in between the 'with and the without dyslexia' columns with participant numbers 11 to 20? I'm hoping I'm just being daft (I'm prepared to accept that - it's been a long year!) as I can't believe (?) the exam board hasn't been able to produce a simple raw data table correctly...

Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 @ 01:03 PM

Gemma yes I would assume 20 pp's. I imagine its a space saving method putting it in the layout they used, plus also checking whether students read all the information given to them as it does say about test of difference and the two groups

Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 @ 01:35 PM

Surely they should still do the table correctly though - not putting  all of the correct info in the table might confuse people! I really don't understand the rationale behind some of the decisions these exam boards make!

Posted: Monday, June 19, 2017 @ 02:02 PM

I guess they see it as pp 1 for the dyslexia condition, pp 1 for the non dyslexia condition