Studies to know for GCSE Psychology

Studies to know for GCSE Psychology
Posted: Friday, July 14, 2017 @ 09:33 AM

Hi all,

I'm trying to plan lessons for the new GCSE spec and am curious to know how much detail people are going into for the studies? I'm teaching OCR but would guess it's similar across the boards...first study in the textbook (Cooper & Mackie, 1986) is four and a half pages long including the criticisms - that seems too much...

Any thoughts please?

Thank :)

Posted: Thursday, September 14, 2017 @ 10:20 AM

Has anyone had any brilliant ideas on how to teach the studies and/or the amount of detail to go into? Thanks! :)

Posted: Tuesday, September 19, 2017 @ 05:34 PM

I have been thinking exactly the same! All the studies seem very daunting in terms of detail and at times complexity for GCSE level. I guess it is the way the new specification is going across all exam boards! If you get anywhere with the answer I'd love to know!

Posted: Wednesday, September 20, 2017 @ 09:42 AM

Hi Gemma,

I'm teaching the new OCR spec for the first time this year too and thought the same about the studies - criminal behaviour study 1 in particular as you mentioned is far too detailed!

I've condensed each study down onto one sheet of A4 (an "information sheet") and will be giving these to the students when we do the studies. I won't be giving them the textbook for this part of each topic as I don't want them to be daunted by the volume of information!

In terms of teaching the studies I'm using the same techniques as for the previous spec. Combinations of; teacher delivery, question and answer, storyboards, some "active" tasks using play-doh and role play etc. etc. 

Looking at the example assessment materials, the exam board seem to be favouring short answer questions so I'm going to ensure students know every detail necessary using regular quizzes and games (mostly as starters and plenaries) rather than practicing longer answers as much as I used to (for the old 10 markers).