AQA Psychology option topic Forensic

AQA Psychology option topic Forensic
Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 @ 11:46 AM

Hi all

After teaching aggression this year for Year 2 Psychology and deciding that neither me nor my students enjoyed it, I am going to swap to do forensic. Quite a lot of my current year 12's are really enthused by criminal psychology, some of which are applying to do criminology related courses at University.

As a result I really want to do the topic justice and make it as engaging as possible for my classes. Has anybody who taught it this year got any useful advice, strategies, tips or resources that they wouldn't mind sharing with me?

Happy to share some of my option topic resources in return.

Thank you!

Charlotte

charlotte.russell28@gmail.com

Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 @ 12:16 PM

Hi Charlotte, I've emailed you.

Posted: Tuesday, July 18, 2017 @ 12:46 PM

Hi Charlotte, I uploaded all my forensic powerpoints last year to this site over the summer from following the Pink Haired Year 2 book, have a look at them and see what you think!

I've enjoyed it much more and there seems to be so many different opportunities to engage them with this topic - we've done prison trips, guest speakers from the CJS, forensic presentations and even a treasure hunt based on forensic profiling. It's been my favourite to teach so far and I hope you enjoy it. I much prefer it to aggression!

Posted: Wednesday, July 19, 2017 @ 08:36 PM

I really enjoy teaching forensic and my students love it.

Christine, I'm intrigued by by the prison trip.  Was it easy to arrange and what did it involve?

Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 @ 07:44 AM

Let me know if you need anything specific - happy to help! mnapper@psf.wirral.sch.uk but I am leaving on Friday.

Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 @ 10:01 AM

It was an open prison (category D) and I emailed them to ask about a trip and they said yes! We toured the facilities, had a Q&A with inmates, discussed drug rehabilitation and explored the work activities the inmates did. Very useful for custodial sentencing, token economies and restorative justice which are all on the new spec! Very easy to arrange if you can contact the local warden of an open prison near you.

Posted: Thursday, July 20, 2017 @ 09:26 PM

Excellent, thanks, it sounds really interesting and I can see how it would fit in with the new spec.

Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 @ 02:55 PM

Hi,

Charlotte have you covered Forensic with your Year 2 students yet?  I'd be really grateful for any more tips! This is my first year teaching the new spec after a break from teaching so I'm working all hours to plan new SoW and resources for all topics (I'm counting down the days until Christmas just to get some sleep!). The amazing resources shared on this website are the only thing keeping me sane!

Christine - I've had a look at your resources - these are fantastic! thank you so much for sharing.

I was wondering if anyone uses a student workbook? I'd be really grateful for a place to start if you wouldn't mind sharing with me? My email is sarah-j.scott@hotmail.com

I will be returning the favours and uploading my own resources when I get to the end of the school year!

Thank you in for any help in advance,

Sarah

Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 @ 07:10 PM

Hi Sarah. I'll upload my workbook in the morning.

Posted: Sunday, November 26, 2017 @ 07:54 PM

Hi Deb,

Thank you so much for your reply - I would really appreciate that. Thank you very much Deb! :)

Posted: Thursday, December 7, 2017 @ 12:07 PM

Yes, I have thought they get a little bored with Agression, but they get Great Grades!! It brings in Zimbardo, which they have done, Bandura which they have done.... so on the whole it is easier to access for them, and this saves a lot of time in a Spec with is TOP HEAVY with content.
I recall changing to Gender years ago cause it looked interesting, ..... but the theories were new and challenging for them.... So its a trade off I think.
Did those who did Forensic last year get great grades overall???

Posted: Thursday, December 7, 2017 @ 03:08 PM

The examiners' report said Section D and in particular Forensic were the least well answered sections of Paper 3. But this could be just that the students were tired!

Posted: Thursday, December 7, 2017 @ 03:47 PM

Hi everyone

I was exactly the same.  I taught aggression as I had always previously taught that topic and didn't find it is interesting this year so changed to forensic.  The students have really been engaged and there is quite a bit of overlap from aggression.  I had the students working in groups as forensic psychologists to discuss different preventions and intervention strategies they could use to deal with offenders, based on the explanations. 

There was great discussions on whether all crimes could be treated in the same way and all offenders!