Introducing GCSE Psychology

Introducing GCSE Psychology
Posted: Monday, August 28, 2017 @ 11:28 AM

I was hoping someone would be feeling generous and could share any thoughts/resources that would help me to prepare an introductory GCSE lesson to year 9? I am delivering the new GCSE to them over three years and would love them to be engaged and not overwhelmed in their first lesson. Thank you so much.I can offer A level resources in return!

Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 @ 08:33 PM

I've created a lesson of 'facts vs. fibs' about Psychology.  They have to work in teams to figure out which they think if a fact and which is a fib.... for example "Do we only use 10% of our brain"..... "You are either left or right brained" etc...  Then we discuss the real answers- when i've done this before a lot of them are quite surprised/disappointed that they don't have 90% of untapped brain power to use.  haha and it helps get them engaged. 

Then I lead this into a general "what is psychology and what do psychologists do".  I do the classic stanford marshmallow experiment (show them the video in the lesson)..... go through some ideas of what psychologists do, how they conduct research to help them find out things (only very brief so as not to overwhelm them) and then get them to design a poster advertising Psychology to others who know nothing about the subject. 

This is for a double lesson and as mentioned previously will be quite lighthearted and not in too much depth as it is an introduction but will hopefully get them excited about experiments etc. 

Posted: Tuesday, August 29, 2017 @ 08:39 PM

Hi there, 

which examining board are you following for GCSE Psychology?

Posted: Thursday, October 11, 2018 @ 09:20 AM

This information will be helpful. Thank you for providing this. Psychology is a vast subject. It is a good decision to include this subject in syllabus. Students will learn several things from it. They will get in touch with experts so that it will be advantage for them. The course content is also designed very well so it will be easily understand for them. I am a writer and write article and blogs for the students. Some good articles are available at  UK buy essay.