Students are waffling!

Students are waffling!
Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 @ 01:36 PM

Help, I've just marked a forensic test and my students results are awful! Students have given general description to things and their writing is waffle, general talk and not really using terminology right, thats if they have used it at all!

Can any suggest what they do to tighten up students writing? Do you do this through each lesson with description, or quick tests or glossaries? 

Will take any advice as I need to implement this ASAP!

Thanks

Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 @ 02:29 PM

My student's love Kahoot quizzes and these are excellent for testing definitions of key terms.

I use the analogy of Master Chef and contestants being told their food lacks seasoning, I tell my students that they need to 'season' their essays with key terms, otherwise the essays will be bland!

Posted: Monday, November 13, 2017 @ 02:29 PM

My student's love Kahoot quizzes and these are excellent for testing definitions of key terms.

I use the analogy of Master Chef and contestants being told their food lacks seasoning, I tell my students that they need to 'season' their essays with key terms, otherwise the essays will be bland!

Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 @ 11:56 AM

their NOTES!! that is the only way. Minimize A01, Maximise A03

Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 @ 11:57 AM

ps. plus honestly think it is important not to overteach, not to' overdo' each component, so they have so much info. its a BIG spec, more content than any other A level, (so they tell me!!)

Posted: Tuesday, November 28, 2017 @ 03:27 PM

Check the marking criteria before minimising the AO1.... I don't know about AQA but Edexcel state student can only be awarded a level if ALL criteria in that level have been achieved. This means for higher levels they have to show good AO1 which means showing they understand the behaviour / theory / study as well as just knowing details...... I know AQA apply this principle to EPQ's now.

Re: Waffle: I have been encouraging students to signpost and actually draw a signpost when they start an evaluative point. e.g "The theory is supported by scientific research (on a pic of a signpost) rather then simply describing a supporting study. I am also going to get them to photocopy one of their answers, cut it into sentences and then throw out anything that isn't needed...... they will then have to piece together what's left to see if it makes sense. If not they need to fill in the missing gaps.... might work! (English do this with students who use very long sentences, get them to cut up a sentence into meaningful chunks and then re-write it using appropriate punctuation)

Posted: Wednesday, November 29, 2017 @ 09:31 AM

Thanks for your replies. I have started getting students to minimise their work as their notes as often as long as the text book! But I identify ertain key words that have to be included.

I like your idea Jenny of getting them to cut up their essay. I've never tried that before but think I may give it a go! 

I agree the spec is huge and its hard to be confident taking stuff out. 

Do think that practicing minimising if defo the way forward! I have started giving them grids and asking them to reduce the theory down the most relevant points.