Supporting boys in psychology

Supporting boys in psychology
Posted: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 @ 11:20 AM

I have been analysing my results from last year and an interesting finding is that psychology typically comes out as girl's top A level result (or equal top) but for my cohort of boys psychology is typically their worst result. I teach across three schools and this findings is consistent across all. I am happy to acknowledge that this may well have a lot to do with me, that I build better relationships with the girls in class/ they are more open to seeking help.... however I wonder if any of you have any strategies that you use that I could try to adopt to tackle this divide? Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks in advance

Posted: Wednesday, December 6, 2017 @ 11:28 AM

Persistence and trying to make students re-do work. I find the boys are very good vocally but not so good in their written work. Where possible I try and find example of behaviour that will appeal to both genders; also chunking work in smaller units seems to help.

Have you looked at the gender differences at GCSE. Most of my make students tend to have lower predicted grades.

Posted: Friday, December 8, 2017 @ 03:24 PM

I try to use lots of drama and hands on activities for boys. My new year 12 class only has two girls in it so I have had to change the way I teach massively. I often describe a study and get the students to draw what I am saying with no words, explain to a partner, act it out and then add to what they originally wrote with additional information. Happy to send you the worksheet I use to do this.