Anybody teaching the new IB Psych syllabus?! Help!

Anybody teaching the new IB Psych syllabus?! Help!
Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 @ 05:05 AM

I'm new to IB, and especially this new syllabus. If anybody can help me with this query, I'd be so grateful. For the new syllabus, when a question is asking about the influence of one hormone on one human behaviour, will answers that talk about pheromones be accepted as correct? In the only text I can get hold of for the new syllabus it refers to pheromones as 'ecto-hormones'. But they act outside of the body, so can't strictly be hormones surely? I have some students in their end of semester exam talk only about pheromones & pheromone research, but feel they can't earn any credit for this question (??)

Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 @ 09:37 PM

Sorry I don't have an answer but am in the same situation. I have started a new job this week and teaching WJEC A2 Psy as well as the IB (the IBCP SL). Neither of which I have taught before. I have found two Facebook groups that might be helpful if you use social media? IB Psychology Teachers and IB Psychology Teachers Support group. I am happy to share resources that I make as I make them....

Posted: Tuesday, January 9, 2018 @ 11:45 PM

Oooh! thank you! I'll look them up now! It's so difficult, I'm in China and I think I'm the only New syllabus IB Psych teacher in the country!

Posted: Wednesday, January 10, 2018 @ 06:48 PM

Hi Richard, I do not think that pheromones count as hormones. Pheromones are a different thing, we know that they work in animals, but whether they work in humans is questionable. What is more, hormones are produced by the endocrine system and pheromones are not. In my opinion they shouldn't use pheromones to answer a question about the influence of hormone on behaviour.

Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 @ 12:01 AM

Thanks Aleksandra,

I was thinking along the same lines too. It's only that they're included in the Hormones section of the book, and there is no other reference to them anywhere in any sample papers/questions etc. I wonder why they've added it to the new syllabus, but not made any other reference to it. I've asked for clarification from the IBO people, but I think I'll discount it for their answers. It's a shame, they are written quite well!

Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 @ 10:12 PM

Hi Richard,

I would also treat them as two separate Bio Approach sub topics.
I think, as Aleksandra noted they are questionable in humans, that is why the IB may have included them in. As Critical Thinkers our IB students could use the fact that they are controversial as a valid point.

There's the classic McClintock (1971) study on Menstrual Synchronicity to support pheromones - nice Crit Thinking point here is that there were no physiological measures taken. Also an attempt to replicate this - by Yang and Schank (2006) found no evidence of synchronicity in a year long study of Chinese women living in a dorm env't.

Hope this helps

Posted: Wednesday, January 17, 2018 @ 01:52 AM

I received a response from the IBO, and they said as much. So pheromones cannot be used to answer that question. I think you're right, they could be used in a 'discuss' question. Thanks for your responses everyone! : )