Applying to mark AQA Sociology in the summer . . .

Applying to mark AQA Sociology in the summer . . .
Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 @ 10:57 AM

Quick question on this, I've applied to mark Paper One and Paper Four as my second priority as those are the ones I feel most comfortable with. When is the deadline for getting them all done? Also, when do you get paid for it? Thanks! 

Posted: Thursday, January 11, 2018 @ 07:51 PM

Do you mean A-level? Just a bit confused as there are only 3 papers

Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 @ 09:20 AM

Yes! Whoops, I meant paper 3 (Crime and Deviance!)

Posted: Friday, January 12, 2018 @ 11:36 AM

With GCSE you get a target percentage to complete by a certain date, I assume this will be the same for A level.

Posted: Tuesday, January 16, 2018 @ 09:14 PM

I marked for the AQA board for summer, last about three weeks and was marking min 10 papers a day for paper 2 sociology. You get paid after certain % are marked in line with the contract they issue, automatic payments... I think it was first 25%, 50% and then final payment after last 25% marked. 

I also took on extra marking which they paid a little extra for...

Posted: Friday, January 19, 2018 @ 12:06 PM

Seems a little strange that people that some people got paid throughout the process - I marked both the GCSE and A level papers for AQA last year and didn't receive any payment until after the final deadline. I met every single target also, so it wasn't as if I was behind.

You usually have three weeks to complete the entire allocation, but as mentioned you have targets for specific dates. I'm not sure whether or not the A level is going back to online marking this year or staying paper based. If it's paper based then the standardisation process and getting cleared to mark can slow some people down as some of it's done through snail-mail. It was a lot quicker the year that A level was marked online, but it's been paper based the past 2 years.

Posted: Monday, January 22, 2018 @ 02:25 PM

It has been a mixure of paper and online, depending on which papers you were doing. The trigger for payment also varies in relation to which of those it is.

Posted: Wednesday, January 24, 2018 @ 02:30 PM

Was anyone marking during the summer holidays or was it generally done by then?

Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 @ 08:06 AM

It's done by the 2nd or 3rd week in July

Posted: Monday, March 12, 2018 @ 01:17 PM

it will do your head in

Posted: Friday, March 16, 2018 @ 02:20 PM

The money is rubbish (after tax).

it is only good to skill you up to teach what the board are looking for for each question.

It is a total pain in the neck

Posted: Thursday, March 29, 2018 @ 09:08 AM

Payments are staggered as mentioned above. It's ok money if you get into a good rhythm; I could do between 3 and 5 papers per hour on average last year which makes a decent hourly rate.

Personally I prefer marking paper copies (especially where the writing is hard to decipher), but I think all the papers will be whole scripts marked online; I just hope the process has improved because the year it was all online was an absolute disaster- certain papers were 'seeds', pre-marked to check your standard of marking. You didn't get paid for those and if your mark was outside tolerance you were locked out of the process and couldn't be readmitted until your team leader cleared you- for me, this meant losing whole days of marking time if my TL was not online when I got locked out. I know they were scrambling to get the papers marked in time for results day that year so I can only hope the processes have improved!

It is useful for exam prep, as long as I'm teaching A level it's going to be worth it and the pay is welcome- it IS a pita though and does your head right in!!

Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 @ 10:14 AM

From what I've seen this year it is still seeded.

Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 @ 01:50 PM

Think it is all online this year- I've opted out as a result - hate being locked out if stopped and also it hurts my eyes staring at answers on-screen.

Definitely worth it when I was a new teacher.... now the tax makes it basically minimum wage for the A-level papers

Posted: Tuesday, April 17, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

i need the money for a new bathroom.........#teacherproblems

Posted: Wednesday, April 18, 2018 @ 09:05 AM

I believe A level P2 is still on paper due to the complexity of it. I marked it last year and it went past the end of July due to people dropping out and marking slowly - I thought it was a mare to do. I also marked AS P1 which I found quite slow - that was online

This year I'm marking AS P1 and A2 P3 which are both online.

Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 10:45 AM

A Level Paper 2 is still in traditional script format. Correct.

Posted: Wednesday, April 25, 2018 @ 11:46 AM

if it is online marking it will drive you to despair - paper scripts are easier to read annotate etc