AQA Statistical tests

AQA Statistical tests
Posted: Thursday, March 8, 2018 @ 03:27 PM

I just wondered how much detail people are going into regarding the stat tests. For example, are you getting your students to just rank the differences for Mann Whitney, for example, or getting them to calculate the whole test? I read somewhere that it is only the sign test which they can ask students to fully calculate...however the quote from the spec below is a little ambiguous...all comments and thought would be appreciated.

For example, calculating a non-parametric test of differences using data from a given experiment.

Posted: Friday, March 9, 2018 @ 06:43 AM

AQA have said that student only have to calculate the sign test from first principles. But I do a quick run through of the calculations for all non parametric tests as I think it helps students to understand the idea of inferential stats. It also ensures they won’t get caught out by the requirement to substitute values into a given formulae. My weaker students are still clueless though!

Posted: Tuesday, March 13, 2018 @ 11:36 AM

Thanks Deb that is reassuring!

Posted: Wednesday, March 14, 2018 @ 12:36 PM

Hi Deb, do you run through the parametric tests or just expect students to know when to use them? Thanks!