SET Membership and QTLS

SET Membership and QTLS
Posted: Tuesday, March 20, 2018 @ 04:11 PM

Hi all,

Just wondering whether anyone else did a PGCE that led to QTLS rather than QTS?  I would like to ask whether it's really necessary to pay the annual subscription; if I ever needed to join again, it seems that according to their terms I'd retain the status - and I have the certificate/workbook.  

Thanks!

Posted: Thursday, March 22, 2018 @ 10:07 AM

I have done this and pay the subscription because if you don't pay then you don't appear on their list of qualified members which if you're looking for jobs new employers used to check your quals although if you have the cert and the workbook I don't know what other evidence you should need .

I was always told that if you didn't pay than you lose the status.

Posted: Saturday, March 31, 2018 @ 02:56 PM

I have always paid to retain the QTLS status in case I change jobs although no employer has ever asked me if I have QTLS. I always declared my PGCE on application forms which is generally sufficient. I think SET have really got members over a barrel on this one and doesn't seem to put QTLS on a par with QTS as qualified teachers don't have to pay to keep their status every year. In addition their CPD is never relevant to me so it hardly seems good value for money. I probably won't continue to pay it for much longer

Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 @ 04:04 PM

Just to throw this opposite response into the mix. My PGCE was in FE, led to QTLS. Not all of the FE college staff in Psych took up QTLS as we were told it wasn't needed. I've since moved jobs twice, both new employers asked about QTS status, I stated that I didn't have it - gave a short note explaining the above. No implications whatsoever. Been teaching 9 years now. 

Posted: Sunday, April 15, 2018 @ 05:55 PM

Hi All,

Would anyone be willling to share their experience of QTLS training and booklet, I would be very grateful?

Best wishes

Posted: Monday, April 16, 2018 @ 10:17 AM

The ATP can help with this if you are a member www.theatp.org/join We have a number of committee members who have been through this process and are happy to help.

Posted: Wednesday, May 23, 2018 @ 12:48 PM

was there any response to people willing to help with QTLS stuff, (apart from offers to pay/join other sites)?

Posted: Thursday, May 24, 2018 @ 11:51 AM

Both the posts i took after qualifying required QTLS status. These were mainstream schools with a sixth form.