Using AS orA level assessment resources with Yr12?

Using AS orA level assessment resources with Yr12?
Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2018 @ 10:19 AM

Hi all,

Now we're a couple of years into the new A level reforms, we no longer have AS exams in the summer for our year 12 students, but we have still been using AS papers for mocks and setting 12 mark essay questions.

I just wondered how many of you have abandoned this strategy, and are opting for 16 mark essays from the start of the course? This seems to make more sense, but my one concern is that year 12 students don't have the evaluative skills to gain high marks on 16 mark essays yet and 12 mark essays are a better way of easing them in.

What approach is everyone else using?

Thanks

Lara

Posted: Sunday, April 8, 2018 @ 07:53 PM

We tended to set 12 markers in the first year of the new spec and their mocks were based on the AS paper; however, this year we've used 16 mark questions straight away to ensure that they learn enough evaluation points from the start, even if they don't use them effectively straight away. We're still using the AS paper as the mock in the first year as we have covered most (but certainly not all!) of the topics in those papers but don't tell them that so they come prepared for everything - anything to keep them revising!

Posted: Tuesday, April 10, 2018 @ 04:46 PM

I am sticking with AS papers for the whole of Y12. I want to be able to build their confidence and then work on developing AO3 within 16 markers, but not adding more points - just adding depth and detail. This is my first year without the AS being externally assessed so I may have to amend this. Like you, I did consider A level questions and 16 mark questions but didn't want to overwhelm them. Also it allows me to use all the A level papers in Y13 for revision / assessment and the questions won't be a repeat of Y12 whilst we still have a fairly limited supply.

Posted: Wednesday, April 11, 2018 @ 12:15 PM

I only use A level questions and papers with my students. I start them off with 8 mark questions so they learn the assessment objectives and balance and then slowly build up their practice with 16 mark questions. For their trial exams next month, they will only have one 16 mark question across 3 hours of papers ( I have slightly doctored the June 2017 real exam papers). In subjects such as English, history and RE they are writing essays for extended period of time, so I think that twenty minute answers should not phase them too much as long as they are given lots of guidance on how to tackle them.

Posted: Thursday, April 12, 2018 @ 09:56 AM

Thanks for your replies everyone, they're all really useful comments to consider. I think I'll take the approach of tackling 8 mark essays first then move onto 16 markers once they understand AOs and structure etc.