Psychology Trips Visits...any ideas?

Psychology Trips Visits...any ideas?
Posted: Thursday, May 3, 2018 @ 10:53 AM

Hi I have 6th formers only and wonder if anyone has any good Trips/Visits ideas? I know there is the Freud Museum - is it any good? Really wanting to hear about all your trips and any details would be so helpful - thanks in advance. Amy

Posted: Friday, May 4, 2018 @ 08:31 AM

Not sure where you live but the Cambridge AIM conference has been very good...try  emailing info@aimconferences.co.uk. Usually in November.

Posted: Monday, May 7, 2018 @ 09:09 AM

we organised a conference with True Life Conferences. My students found it really interesting http://www.truelifeconferences.co.uk/Welcome.html  

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 @ 06:12 PM

I've been to the Freud museum years ago on my own and I felt it was very heavy - and I love Freud. It's also very small. Bethlam hospital is a really interesting trip but booked up a long time in advance and you can only take 20 at a time.

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 07:23 AM

Rach B - we take our y13 students to Bethlem and have had groups bigger than 20 for the past few years (39 this year). Apart from the journey to get there it's a great trip (and free!).

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 11:43 AM

If you can get to Wales there's the Big Pit at Blenaevon. We have used it for phobias - the guides are great at cramming the group into the cage, which drops like a stone, they then talk up the presence of rats in the pit, and at some point or other get everyone to turn off their helmet lamps so we are in total darkness. So lots of possible stimuli, and great fun.

While in Wales we also did the Corus Steel Works at Port Talbot. Used to visit there to look at workplace stressors - no longer included in AQA spec except as an option for Paper 3, but a possibility if you are doing the stress option.

Haven't done these trips for a few years now, but as I remember they were both free so the only cost is transport.

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 01:58 PM

Think top floor of science museum has a psychology-related gallery?

Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 08:31 AM

I would avoid the Freud Museum, we went a few years ago and wont ever return. The house was nothing exciting and the tour guide was inappropriate and caused it to be a very uncomfortable day

Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 10:47 AM

I've taken students to prisons before (Forensic Psychology) and do the annual trip to Krakow every year. I always book with Equity and they organise everything for you, you just need to promote and collect the money. I've also taken students to GoApe to study the physiological response to stress but it's not cheap for the learning gains.

I went to the Science museum a few years back but didn't find the Psychology exhibition worth the trip.

Posted: Thursday, May 17, 2018 @ 01:49 PM

I want to thank you all for this useful information x