AQA Paper 3 - changing options

AQA Paper 3 - changing options
Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 @ 09:53 AM

I'm thinking of changing options on Paper 3 next year from forensics, I'm leaning towards addiction as there's lots of crossover with other topics. Would appreciate any thoughts before taking the leap into planning!

Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 @ 11:51 AM

I changed last year from Relationships to Cognition and Development and can honestly say it was the best thing I could have done for myself and my students. Although, it took a fair amount of work to plan and resource a new topic, it is a much smaller topic and students have enjoyed it.

Don't know a lot about addiction, but I do know that Forensic is a massive topic, so I'd say go for it.

Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 @ 12:56 PM

I'm planning to change from relationships to cognition too for September, glad it worked so well for you, Deb. Personally I love teaching forensics and depending on what other options you have chosen there is lots of overlap: token economies with schizophrenia, mirror neurons with cognition, psychodynamic explanations allows you to revisit 44 thieves and the psychdynamic approach. Students tell me they really enjoy it and can see how it is applied in the real world really easily. Good luck with whatever you choose to do!

Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 @ 02:56 PM

I know our students find Forensics really content heavy and get muddled by all of the different explanations for offender behaviour. I'm tempted to wait and see which option does well in the summer - forensics was the worst last year!

Posted: Monday, May 14, 2018 @ 03:05 PM

I let my class choose Forensic this year. They definitely found the topic tougher than addiction (the class in the year before). Addiction is quite straight forward as long as the class are prepared for the biological element.

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 @ 07:28 AM

I dropped relationships for cognition and swapped forensic for addiction. I'm really glad I did and the students are happy, even though they think cognition is a little dry, it is smaller and more straightforward than relationships.

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 @ 08:14 AM

Hi.

I did exactly the same. I now have gender, eating behaviour and addiction - simple yet effective

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 @ 08:20 AM

I teach cognition, schizophrenia and aggression. Lots of crossover between psych and bio explanations. Cognition also crosses over with A Level English Specification. Students enjoy cognition especially learning about autism.

Posted: Tuesday, May 15, 2018 @ 12:10 PM

I teach the same as Wendy and think they are great topics to use as 'supportive evidence' for the approaches, issues and debates. 

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 08:52 AM

Thanks everyone - need to have a proper look at it and work out if aggression or addiction would be best

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 01:51 PM

I'd agree with cog dev being much shorter, although my kids weren't keen and this year went with gender.  I like the way some topics (like gender SZ and forensic) mirror the approaches.  My students loved forensic this year - first time I've ever done it - we spiced it up talking about lots of heinous criminals.

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 03:39 PM

I'm moving to a new school and was looking at Going from relationship to Development and Cognition. Thanks for the information. I am sorely tempted now.

I do aggression and Schizophrenia too which are straight forward and plenty of overlap to approaches.