AQA Sociology Paper 1 Feedback

AQA Sociology Paper 1 Feedback
Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 10:01 AM

Any general thoughts on the Paper 1 Questions?

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 11:00 AM

All seemed pretty fair. The question on schools being fair will be fun for examiners!

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 11:00 AM

What were they? We don't enter them for AS any more.

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 12:04 PM

Not sure it was fair at all.

Outline and explain two ways in which social class may affect subject choice.

For an AS paper (let alone A level) I think this is really hard.

There has much been written and in the textbooks about gender and subject choice, but little if anything about social class and subject choice.

I feel questions like this will lead to sociological commsonsense or can only accessed by very bright pupils.

Who would feel confident writing a side and a half on this? our students are only 17 at the point of doing AS!

Thougthts?

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 12:35 PM

Im inclined to agree Tim. One of my student said we did gender and subject choice but not social class and subject choice. I explained that they should of written something that may have influenced subject choice due to the social class, friends or parents occupation etc.

Not sure why it is necessary to write these questions in such a manner they have enough to learn already, why add more pressure in trying to understand the question itself. None of the support materials available write their questions in this way.

I had to think a while regarding the education system fair for everyone question.

Methods in Context question was not a concern in relation to Official Statistics but linked to the success of schools... A bit tricky in my opinion...

Posted: Wednesday, May 16, 2018 @ 12:51 PM

Elle - AQA Sociology Paper 1 2018 (Hopefully I wont get in trouble and I'm not posting too early)

1) Define the term 'social solidarity'. [2 marks]

2) Using one... briefly explain how boys behaviour in school may make it difficult for them to do well in the education system. [2 marks]

3) Outline three examples of how the education system could be seen as fair to everyone. [6 marks]

4) Outline and explain two ways in which social class may affect subject choice. [10 marks]

5) Applying material from Item A and your knowledge, evaluate the view that ethnic differences in educational achievement are a result of factors outside the education system. [20 marks]

6) Applying material from Item B and your knowledge of research methods, evaluate the strengths and limitations of using statistics to investigate how successful a school is. [20 marks]

Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 @ 07:24 AM

Hello! Very interesting topic, thank you raised it. netspend number

Posted: Friday, May 18, 2018 @ 09:07 AM

Quick analysis here: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=l6UAsa0-nDc&t=19s

Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 09:15 AM

The 10 mark questions are meant to test their sociological understanding and ability to apply knowledge to other factors/issues. Most of my students came out saying they had to think but wrote about things like attitudes and values causing w/c to go for vocational courses/apprenticeships due to deferred gratification and m/c opting for more academic due to habitus and cultural capital making them more familiar with the content of A-levels... some I think went for w/c subculture and peer pressure for some (at risk of drifting too much into gender I think maybe). But I do think it is a fair question otherwise the AS is in no way preparation for the critical thinking skills they need to have for A-level and can give them a false sense of security if they do well due to memorising techniques in an exam that has much more focus on AO1 than AO3... then the jump up for A-level style AO3 is way harder.

Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 10:01 AM

Ofqual didn't want 10 mark questions that were just regurgitation of knowledge. The intention of the 10 mark explain questions is to get them to apply their knowledge.

Having said that, I do think its pretty tough on the students considering how much content there is, which means we don't have time to develop skills like these.

Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 01:19 PM

While the 10 markers aren't supposed to be just regurgitation of knowledge, the expectation is for students to apply specific knowledge, and so it will be the minority of students that mange any half decent answers with a question like that. Personally, I think AQA are using questions like this to help grade distribution, as it'll create a greater range with some of the answers no doubt being terrible. Seems like an unfair way to do it as it's more about catching students out, rather than giving them the opportunity to show if they are any good at the subject.

Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 01:34 PM

Agree with you on that. I really do feel like its an opportunity for them to catch students out as its effectively asking questions that aren't on the specification by arguing its linking different areas of the specification together, if that makes sense.

As a teacher I don't like to see it as I don't believe its actually testing them on skills or what they know.

Posted: Monday, May 21, 2018 @ 03:08 PM

I think it does test them on what they know. It isn't just what they can remember from a topic area. Applying different areas of the topic demonstrates that they do understand it and can use the knowledge effectively. Having spoken to my students they didn't seem too troubled by it, it just threw them for a few minutes but from what they think they said it sounds like they figured it out well enough... hopefully that will be the case for most students.

Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 02:44 PM

It was the question about boys' behaviour that I found a little weird!!! Thoughts? 

Were they meant to link this to labelling, teacher interaction or subculture . . . or simply just say that bad behaviour may cause less focus in class? Seemed odd.

Posted: Friday, May 25, 2018 @ 03:42 PM

Yes I think they could have talked about boys behaviour as a reaction to labelling; anti school male subcultures like Mac an Ghaill's macho lads, Willis' working class lads or Epstein and homophobic abuse that working class males receive for working hard in school. I imagine they would have to then explain how this is likely to cause problems with achievement (application).

Posted: Wednesday, May 30, 2018 @ 08:04 PM

Agree with previous posters that the 10 mark questions end up allowing for common sense answers to be credited, which doesn't really raise the bar at all- just allows common sense crap to be credited.

Something like latin and cultural capital/habitus/private schools etc may have been a good answer as long as students explain cultural capital.

However, students are unlikely to do this under exam pressure and it just means 7 marks end up being awarded for pretty poor answers.

Posted: Sunday, June 3, 2018 @ 04:27 PM

Hi! Was just reading through the comments, is this the A Level 2018 Sociology exam we're talking about? 

Posted: Monday, June 4, 2018 @ 09:21 AM

@CasperD

This is in relation to the AS Paper.

A Level Paper 1 is tomorrow afternoon.