Edexcel learning approach key question - advice please

Edexcel learning approach key question - advice please
Posted: Tuesday, May 29, 2018 @ 05:20 PM

Hi All, I was wondering if someone could give me a little advice please. Last year for the learning approach, the key question I used was "Is the influence of role models and celebrities something that causes anorexia?". I found that although social learning theory was readily applied to the question by the students, they also included operant conditioning a great deal. 

My question is, do you think it would be okay to change the question to "How can the learning approach explain the causes of anorexia?", or is that too broad? That way they can use the psychodynamic explanation as an alternative to the question, and discuss both SLT and operant conditioning as a way that the learning approach can account for anorexia.

Thanks in advance,

Lisa

Posted: Thursday, July 5, 2018 @ 02:49 PM

You wouldn't need to change your title to include this. I've always used "Is anorexia caused by the media?" as my KQ for learning. With this they are able to use other explanations to say that, no, the media may not cause anorexia also.

The learning key question can only be a maximum of 8 marks (4AO1, 4AO2), so I wouldn't bother getting them to debate too many explanations anyway to be fair.

Hope this helps x

Posted: Tuesday, July 10, 2018 @ 03:42 PM

Thank you, that's a great help! I don't want to give them too much to learn - especially as the course is large as it is - but I think I'm geting paranoid that I'm not giving them enough.
Thank again!