Sociology Taster session

Sociology Taster session
Posted: Tuesday, June 12, 2018 @ 11:36 AM

Hi all,

Has anyone got any creative ideas for a Sociology taster lesson to entice yr10/11 to choose Sociology as an A level option?

Thank you in anticipation.

Lara

Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 11:20 AM

In our taster lessons I often put up some current news article or a point of debate, like 'Do you agree that benefits are too high?' and then link to different resources, such as the government's visual on welfare spending https://www.ons.gov.uk/economy/governmentpublicsectorandtaxes/publicsectorfinance/articles/howisthewelfarebudgetspent/2016-03-16

Could be a useful way to get their attention? Similar ones I use are 'do you agree your exam results are purely down to you?' followed by stats on exclusion by ethnicity, or free school meals. Then they're encouraged to think about our society's assumptions/accepted media narratives, and maybe see how sociology starts to expand their understanding a bit. Also shows those who are completely disengaged from having political opinions that they may not enjoy it much!!

Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 01:32 PM

We're doing some bits on crime and deviance.

Be careful as we have found in recent years that too many 'fun' activities give them an unrealistic expectation of the demands of the course and they are unprepared for it. We're therefore mixing some realistic lesson activities with the more interactive (and less academic) elements.

Posted: Friday, June 15, 2018 @ 02:37 PM

I agree with previous poster, I am actually running a Psychology taster session this year which will include maths. If I was running the Sociology session I'd try to get them to interpret some statistics or read a recent article on a particular issue.