Lena is a clinical psychologist. She believes that a patient of hers is experiencing apsychotic disorder. Assess one difficulty that Lena could experience in trying to confirm that her patient is experiencing a psychotic disorder.[6]

Lena is a clinical psychologist. She believes that a patient of hers is experiencing apsychotic disorder. Assess one difficulty that Lena could experience in trying to confirm that her patient is experiencing a psychotic disorder.[6]
Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 03:13 PM

Does anyone have an exemplar for this, I'm not sure how to gain 6 parks for this when making just one mark. Can the Rosenhan study by used to explain that diagnosis of schizophrenia is invalid?

Posted: Wednesday, June 13, 2018 @ 09:37 PM

I don't have an example answer but I remember doing this with my students.  I recommend they define what a psychotic disorder is and identify a specific disorder the patient could be suffering from.  There are a number of difficulties that could be explored e.g. overlap with other disorders and this could be backed up with the limitation of using a category system to diagnose such DSM.  Or they could go down the route of looking at diagnosis of mental illness often relies on self-report instead of observation as with a physical illness and this could be linked to Myth of Mental Illness.  Hope this helps.

Signature  Julie Amatruda
Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 @ 01:00 PM

The MS for this suggested difficulties could centre on the validity and/or reliability of such a diagnosis, issues of ethnocentrism (e.g. to do with how ‘hearing voices’ is viewed in different cultures), reliance on self-report and/or observation for the symptoms. What is crucial for your students in applying their understanding of difficulties in diagnosis is to refer to Lena and one of her patients who is experiencing a psychotic disorder to provide context.

Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 @ 01:38 PM

In terms of issues with diagnosis in terms of validity etc, what resource did you use to prepare students for this as there isn't anything in the Cara or Hodder book?

Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 @ 01:55 PM

A nice person shared this with me as the sort of points for criteria that make a categorisation system and by extension, diagnosis, valid

A diagnostic system eg: DSM should include all types of disorders
The classification categories should be separate from one another
The system must allow the clinician to ask the right questions for internal validity
The system must allow clinicians to predict how one criterion is associated with another for criterion validity
For concurrent validity the system must concur with other variables as predicted for example self-reported problems or clinical observations

Posted: Thursday, June 14, 2018 @ 02:47 PM

Thanks, I think the AQA books are quite good for this topic, even though it is a different spec. So I think that may be the best way to go with this.