Observed lesson- OCD or Phobias

Observed lesson- OCD or Phobias
Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 @ 10:03 AM

Dear all,

I have an observed lesson next week it is an hour and 15 long and it will be on either OCD- biological explanations or phobias-behavioural explanations. Anyone got any good ideas of activities. I am really stressed about this observation so it is really important that I get it right. Any ideas gratefully received.

Take care

Jacqui

Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 @ 02:23 PM

Students often find Biological explanations of OCD difficult, so I would go for behavioural explanations of phobias. Some excellent phobia clips on you tube. You could get students to create a classical conditioning diagram for the creation of a specific phobia and then move onto treatments and get them to create a fear hierarchy.

Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 @ 02:47 PM

thank you

Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 @ 06:14 PM

Have you taught behaviourism yet and do they know all the key terms? If so you could start with a recap of that and then apply it to some phobia - inducing scenarios and get them to use the classical conditioning terms appropriately. Then an outline of Little Albert and again get them to apply the terms to that case. I then outline the two process model and get them to go back to the original scenarios and explain how the phobia would be maintained via operant conditioning. You could finish up with some nice application questions, unpicking the question and modelling an answer if there is time.

Posted: Monday, December 3, 2018 @ 07:34 PM

Definitely phobias. You could do a quick revision of classical conditioning - I have done a little practical where students take their pulse and then jog on the spot whilst I make a loud noise for 1 minute. Take pulse again. repeat 3x and then you should find they feel their pulse increase just with you making the noise. Use this to revise classical conditioning then show a clip on Little Albert and then diagram showing how this studies shows one way phobias could be acquired.

Posted: Thursday, December 6, 2018 @ 03:01 PM

Thank you all of you for your help. I think based on the advice given that I will definitely go with phobias. Now just need to figure out exactly what I am going to do but thank you for all your helpful suggestions.

Take care

Jacqui