Formulae and Calculation of Stats Tests eg Mann Whitney AQA

Formulae and Calculation of Stats Tests eg Mann Whitney AQA
Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 @ 09:02 AM

Hello

Would anyone be kind enough to let me know whether or not they think AQA is likely to ask students to fully calculate a stats test such as Mann Whitney.  My gut feeling is no, but I realise the exam board is probably entitled to do this.  Also, if they did, would they give the student the formula, (and which one) as they differ a bit, which can be confusing for students.  I tried to find some guidance on this on the AQA website, but so far, not successful.

Any help greatly appreciated - thanks.  

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 @ 11:17 AM

Hi Rachel, I emailed AQA about this sometime and was told that students would only be asked to calculate the Sign Test from first principles. For the other tests they simply need to know which to use and when.

However, they could be asked to substitute values into a formulae (Maths requirements) and one of the specimens did ask students to calculate degrees of freedom in Chi square, but they were obviously given the formula. I think any future question on these lines would be part calculation (as the df calculation was) as full calculation just takes too much valuable exam time.

So I think it is a good idea to at least show students the formulae so they aren't thrown by any substitution question.

Posted: Monday, February 11, 2019 @ 08:30 PM

Deb -  MANY thanks for this invaluable advice.